So Shade had his 2-month well child visit the other day. He is now almost 13 lbs and 24" long (2 feet tall!). He is longer than a lot of his clothes, which seems kind of weird. He also got 2 shots and an oral vaccine. The last time he got a shot he screamed and it took about 5 minutes to calm him down. This time, the first shot didn't even make him flinch. Then the second shot, he cried for about 10 seconds and then stopped by himself. Pretty cool :)
SLEEPING
Something else cool, Shade started sleeping in 5-6 hour shifts during the night. He has always done great at night, he only wakes up to eat and then goes right back to sleep (although he always takes at least 20-30 minutes to eat). During the day is a different story. He only sleeps in 10-15 minute stretches...then he wakes up cranky. So I have to hold him in order for him to get a decent amount of sleep during the day. I think it is because he periodically wakes himself up, and during the night it is dark and he can put himself back to sleep. But during the day there is so much stuff to look at...when I am holding him and he wakes up I can lure him back to sleep. So, I don't really know what to do. I tried covering the window in the bedroom to make it darker for his naps, but he still only sleeps for 40 minutes tops. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know :)
5 comments:
If he is just starting to sleep better at night, he may be just adjusting to the difference during the day. Give it some time. Otherwise, try to wait until his hand falls straight down when lifted when he falls asleep before laying him down--that means he's in a deep sleep. And having some constant background noise on (like music, or tv) during the day tends to help. Dad swears by that.
We used to cover the windows up to help Maya nap longer and it worked for us. Does he like to be swaddled? The first couple of months are so hard to get them on a decent schedule! Maya did like to be swaddled and that would add a little bit more time to her naps. Sometimes she'd only fall asleep if I had the vaccuum on! Anyway, sorry I'm not much help. It does get better when they get older. You guys are doing great.
Totally normal, Kathy. Both my kids were power nappers during the day - 20-40 min. max. That slowly increases as they get older. Well, Benjamin never slept more than 45 minutes at a stretch - the length of one sleep cycle. But Bella will now sleep 2 hours at a time. It just took some growing up first. Definitely try keeping it as dark as possible, and if you have something that can make white noise - like a fan or static on the radio/tv - that's helpful too.
During the day I put Anela in her bassinet with a black blanket over the top. That way it is dark, and if she does open her eyes all she sees is black above her. This seems to help. She does like to be swaddled still, and of course a full tummy and dry diaper help! Since she was born we never make it very quiet during nap time, that way she's used to sleeping through all the noise that the older kids make!
Martha would also only take 45 minute naps until she was about 7-8 months. I know it's hard because you can't get much done in 45 minutes.
Swaddling also helped her tremendously. When she was swaddled she wouldn't wake herself up when her arms wanted to move.
I'm glad that he is sleeping so well at night. That is awesome! We hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment