Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2017

GARDEN

I finally have a yard - where I can finally have a garden! I have been wanting to do this ever since we got married... gardens are one thing I remember enjoying with my family when I was a kid. So we had a big divet in our backyard that we wanted to fill in with dirt. But dirt costs money. So we got the great idea to move grass/dirt from the area I wanted to turn into a garden to fill in the big divet. Unfortunately, I didn't know you could rent a sod-cutter until after I had almost finished the project - and had moved 490 square feet of sod by shovel and wagon! It was a workout! Then I went to work trying to till up the dirt with a rake. But then our neighbor, who owns a tiller, came and tilled it up for us. That saved me several hours! And at least we were smart enough to rent a roller to smash the moved sod down. (Notice how our neighbor's garden is 4 times bigger than ours! One of the kids who lives there has a gardening hobby when he is not working).

Pics: Sod removed, Divet patched up, Garden plan marked with plastic eggs, The 2 gardens side by side

But there was also a small patch of dirt outside the basement glass door that was garden-friendly. So I planted a large variety of fruits/veggies to get an idea of what grows well here. Also, there were 2 blueberry bushes that had already been planted from the previous owners.

Our plants: tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, peppers, melons, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. I'm excited for the harvest!

More Pics: Small garden outside basement, Wild green onions that grow in our yard, Peas 1&2, Crazy mushroom, Spinach, 6 Strawberries

No comments: