Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

HALLOWEEN



For Halloween this year, Shade started out really wanting to be a bumble bee. When I looked up costumes online, all the bee costumes were pretty feminine and most had skirts. I tried looking up bee pajamas, but they didn't exist, so I thought we would either need to borrow a costume or perhaps I could just change his mind. So we looked up different costumes online together, and he decided he wanted to be a penguin instead. Those costumes were also awkward. I am usually pretty good about being able to make something out of nothing, but I didn't really feel to up to it this year. But then Kellen saved the day by finding some Spiderman pajamas at the store that Shade was very excited to wear for Halloween. He got to wear the pajamas to preschool - there were 2 other Spidermen, Shade thought that was pretty cool.


They had a Halloween party at school - and they asked me to stay in case one of the teachers had to leave, which I eagerly agreed to - a pretty fun day :)



They did a "pumpkin patch" the week before and got to decorate a pumpkin:


Then for Halloween, Kellen painted Shade's face, and we went trick-or-treating with some friends around their neighborhood (since we live in an apartment complex) which ended up with some pretty good loot for Shade (and us parents of course).


There was one house on our decided route that had gone all out - zombies/cemetary/fog in the front yard, a webbed body hanging from the roof, bugs everywhere, and of course very realistic costumes. Shade spied a very scary looking guy with a scary mask, ripped clothes and dragging an axe on one side of the driveway, so he walked as far away from the guy as he could up to the steps to get the candy, keeping his eye on the guy the whole time (notice the first two pictures). Then on the way back, he seemed to forget where the guy was and didn't notice him until he came pretty close to him, but then when the guy moved, Shade freaked out, screamed, and started crying - he kind of froze in place and forgot to run for the first few seconds there (notice the last 2 pictures). But then he ran over to us - we were waiting for him on the sidewalk. He recovered quickly, though. As soon as we left that yard, he ran up to the next bowl of candy as if nothing had happened. I wish we could have gotten that on video. The people at the house told Kellen - "we love this time of year - its the only time we get to make kids cry and their parents just laugh." Touche.


No comments: