Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2014

GERMANY, CHICAGO

Kellen had to go to Germany for training again. I can usually get the days off at work that I need, because I have been there longer than most people on my floor these days. But unfortunately, we have been losing a lot of staff, and so we were a bit short on midnights anyway. And on top of that, there was a wedding and a vacation that had been planned well in advance of me knowing about Germany, so I was not able to get the whole 9 days off. So my plan was to take both kids to - Chicago! To go stay with their cousins for a week so I could work (it would have been very difficult to find daycare for both my night shift and during the day so I could sleep). So that is what we did. We dropped Kellen off at the airport on Saturday, and then drove straight out to Chicago. I was fairly sick (pregnant sick) by this point, and hadn't been to the doctor for medication yet, so it was a long drive. But we made it. The kids did great - Olive was the only one who threw up on the car ride - and it was 3 minutes from their house!

I stayed there 2 nights to help Olive get accustomed to the new atmosphere, and then I left early Monday morning, got home, took a short 30 minute nap, then got up and got ready for work. I tried to skype with the kids every night before I went to work. That was nice. I think Olive was kind of weirded out by it, but they said she actually did pretty well for being in a whole new environment with new people at 13 months old.

I worked 3 nights in a row, then came home for some sleep, and then I was back on the road to pick up the kids. They were both really happy to see me (almost makes it worth it). Shade kept trying to feed me stuff so I wouldn't be sick (only he and Colby knew about the baby at this point), and Olive just kept giving me big smiles and big hugs/cuddles. And even when it was time for bed, when I left a room with Olive in it, she started to freak out - maybe she thought I was going to leave her again. But we also found out on that trip that Colby (Kellen's sister) is also having another baby - a month before we are! So fun!

We left the next morning, and again made it home fine. The kids were great, and I managed not to puke the entire time. We got to pick up Kellen the next day. The kids were so happy to see him (as was I). We went out to dinner that night - finally made it to Olive Garden! The food was good. The kids were happy. Things worked out great. Thanks so much for helping Curtis Family!

No comments: