This year for Christmas, we were hoping to have another family member to celebrate with, but no luck. Either way, we were able to be home together as a family the night before and the day of Christmas for the first time in a long time. It was really nice.
The night before, the kids got to open one present. They both got Nativity story books. So we made sure to read them and talk about them. One of them talked about how we give presents to people because we love them, but that they can be simple presents, which I really liked. We also watched a little Nativity show and put the toy Nativity together and talked about that. We figured we wouldn't be too focused the next day, so we made sure to celebrate Jesus the night before.
Then the kids went to bed and I put the presents by the tree and filled the stockings.
I had told Shade that if he woke up before 7am, he could either stay in bed or cuddle with Kellen (I was sleeping on the couch at that point, since I needed a firmer sleep surface than my mattress because my belly was so huge). So he ended up in Kellen's bed and I was the one to go wake them up around 7:45.
We had a tradition growing up that we always had breakfast before opening presents. I think it made it more exciting because we could see the unwrapped presents and things sticking out of the stockings and got to guess what was for whom, etc. So we do that with our kids. Breakfast first. We had crepes with blueberries, raspberries and bananas. Delicious. Then on to the stockings. Also as a kid, we always got oranges in our stockings (they were kind of a luxury growing up). But we got grapefruits instead (if you peel it like an orange and take off the skins, they are so sweet and juicy). The kids got coloring books and hot wheels, Shade got a ninja, and Olive got a small pony. We also got breath mints and mini sparkling ciders. Even Eli had a stocking with a teething toy, pants, and a toy car.
We probably overdid Christmas this year. Kellen and I finally got rid of our futon we had had for the last 10 years and got a nice, new one from Costco. We had decided that was going to be our present to each other, but then we ended up getting each other more stuff anyway :) But I was just excited to have our family home together, and I was missing my parents and family (Christmas was always a big deal at my house growing up; my parents always went overboard, especially my mom).
The highlights: Shade got another Ninja Turtles lego set, so now he has all 4 turtles; Olive got a baby doll from Shade (that he picked out and bought with his own money) that she adored and liked more than everything else; Kellen got a Ticket to Ride game, a 3D globe puzzle and a coat rack; and I got a new phone! I have yet to get it activated (I have to wait until my next service date), but it is way nice and looks like it will be too much fun! I can't wait to try it out! Also, Shade got me a bag of candy (also bought with his own money) of swedish fish and sour patch kids - my favorites!
So even though I was a bit bummed about still being pregnant, it turned out to be a really fun, relaxing, awesome day. Merry Christmas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment