Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

"SNOW DAYS"

So this year it got so cold that school cancelled several times. The high of the day was in the single digits with a wind chill in the negatives. I suppose they do that for kids who have to wait for the bus, but then it is also too cold to really go out and do anything, so we mostly stayed in. Especially since I would only get notice that they were closing the schools the night before or the morning of when they would finally get around to sending an email notice, so we didn't get much time to plan things ahead. But a day off together at home playing games and cuddling watching movies works too.

I gotta say though, I must FINALLY be getting used to the cold here after 8 years and 2 winter pregnancies. I found I was often able to get around wearing only thermals and a jacket when it is above 10 degrees with sun and little to no wind. Sure, it is cold, but it is only a short walk to inside a building or car, so I can manage. I guess miracles CAN happen since I am definitely NOT a cold person.

Also, the other day I had a doctor's appointment and on my way home, I decided to go for a walk since the sun was out for the first time in weeks (it seems like the sun is out only about a third of the time here in these wonderful Michigan winters), even though it could have been 20 degrees warmer and still been below freezing! So I stopped by Heritage Park, and saw 2 different deer families. One let me get about 50 feet away before they took off! If you look closely in the first picture, you can see other deer in the upper right corner. I also took pictures of the beautiful snow and the sledding hill.

Then I decided to check out Shiawassee Park as well. Of course the stream was frozen over with big chunks of ice. So I took a little stroll across that as well. Pretty crazy how I have pictures in the exact same spots in the summer time when you can't see very far because of all the leaves!

Another neat thing that happened this year is we had a snow storm and then a rain storm that froze. It made the snow all glossy and crunchy. It was hard to capture the full beauty on film, but the affect was gorgeous.

And just for fun, a picture of spring attempting to fight off winter...

No comments: