This week I got to watch a C-section be performed during my clinical. I mean, I knew it was a major surgery (it doesn't take several weeks to recover from having a mole removed), but I didn't realize how many layers they have to go through in order to get to the baby (it's not something I often like to think about). And once they get the incision made, they are not very gentle about stretching everything open as far as possible with clamps and hands in order to get at everything. And then there are they layers of stitches. But even with the all the blood (there was a LOT of blood), the fact that they can do something to that extent to the human body and both the mother and baby have a great chance of full recovery is incredibly amazing.
I did feel sorry for the girl though. A young teenager who didn't know who the father was whose only family there to support her was her aunt. She was so nervous about the surgery... but wasn't progressing very quickly... and the doctor had a plane to catch that afternoon...
2 comments:
Thanks for this post! Haha. I feel validated since having a c-section last year and listening to people talk about how its the easy way out compared to labor. If that were only true... ;)
Hmmm, I don't think I would be too happy about a doctor ordering a C-section because his schedule didn't allow for me to try laboring longer... um, if he had to catch a plane, then find me another doctor... but that's just my opinion! Unless of course the girl had already had enough, and wanted the c-section!
I don't think a C-section is at all the easy way out... yeah, right then and there it may seem easier cos you aren't in hard labor, but I wouldn't choose the recovery over labor at all! My labor was hard, but totally doable, and aside from feeling like a building had fallen on me the next day, I recovered pretty quickly! LOL
Post a Comment