Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

1ST GRADE!!


My baby is now in 1st Grade! He is so proud! I keep telling him he is not allowed to get older, but he keeps refusing. And every milestone he accomplishes, he makes a big deal about it to show that I can't stop him from getting bigger.

Even though the school year has just started, and he really likes having friends to play with in his class, he says he is already bored at school and they keep teaching him stuff that he already knows. Poor kid. He is pretty smart and picks up on stuff pretty quickly, even if I don't teach it to him (he is already interested in times tables and occasionally will tell me new ones he has learned or figured out). But he is already one of the youngest kids in his class because of the different deadline they had here in Michigan when he started Kindergarten. If we lived in about any other state, he would only be starting Kindergarten this year. But I also know from homeschooling him, that when I try to push him too much, he gets frustrated, shuts down, and starts hating school stuff. Even if it is something that he knows he can do. So I feel like this is a good fit for him for now. And I also like how he is learning good social skills. Not only with other kids, but with authority figures and classroom rules. He is already bringing some of those things home, and that is good to see. I'm sure that later on in the year he will start learning new stuff, and lots of schools nowadays offer advanced subjects in higher grades. So I'm sure we will eventually find a good balance for him. So yeah for 1st Grade!

As a bonus, now Olive gets a lot of 1-on-1 time with me each day, and I gotta say, that has been really nice. Now I can do letters or numbers or reading with her and not have to worry about entertaining or ignoring Shade. It will definitely be interesting when the new baby comes!

No comments: