Search This Blog
Thursday, November 27, 2014
THANKSGIVING 2014
This year for Thanksgiving, my family was planning on a big get-together in Carson City, Nevada. First of all, as a remembrance for my mother since she passed away the night before Thanksgiving last year. But especially now that some stuff has happened with my dad (a mishandled situation plus my dad's lack of reasoning skills), and he is supposed to be going to a facility in Bakersfield, California, basically as a permanent move. So this was going to be a very special family gathering.
Unfortunately, because I just happened to be 8 months pregnant at the time, I was not able to fly. And there was no way I was going to try and drive the 60+ hour round-trip with 2 kids all by myself. We did get to skype for about a half hour or so, but of course it's not quite the same. And too bad because not only was the weather awesome out there (in the 70's), but my grandparents had made the trip out also. They are both moving into their 80's, so who knows the next time I will be able to see them (they still live in St. George, Utah)?
But such is life.
Another reason I couldn't really go out there, I was supposed to work on Thanksgiving this year. I actually signed up to work on Christmas when I got my new position at work, but that was before I knew I was pregnant. My contract requires me to work a winter holiday. And since I didn't really have a valid excuse for getting leave before Thanksgiving, and I still want to be on good terms with my new boss, I decided to just go ahead and work it. I signed up for a midnight shift that started the night before and ended Thanksgiving morning. Although I had a feeling I was going to get cancelled anyway (the patient census is usually pretty low on holidays, especially on the non-critical floors, and as a "contingent" employee, I often get cancelled before anyone else). I actually ended up working a 4.5 hour shift, although I wasn't really supposed to be there, but if they don't cancel me so much in advance of the start of the shift, they have to pay me whether I am there or not, so they found a place for me for the first part of the shift, then cancelled me for the other 8 hours. So I didn't get any time and a half, but I was able to get some sleep before Thanksgiving dinner.
We have some really nice friends out here who invited us and a few others to their place for dinner (thanks, Daltons!). It was really nice, and yummy food. Even though I can't fit a lot in my stomach all at once right now (thanks, baby), I took some extra insulin and spaced my eating a bit so I could get away with enjoying the different foods. I didn't do a post-prandial blood sugar, but by the time we got home, my blood sugar was in normal range, so I must have done good enough :)
But Kellen and I had fun visiting with friends, and the kids had fun playing with the other kids and all the different toys. And when we got home, we had fun skyping with family. Overall, it was a great day, and we sure have a lot to be thankful for!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment