Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

MY RECOVERY

So as I briefly mentioned before, my recovery from a c-section has been a LOT easier this time around. I am sure it is partially due to the fact that I didn't go into labor first, and I didn't get an infection this time. But perhaps it is also due to me having a better idea of what to expect afterward and how/why to move around, etc (both from previous surgery experience and my nursing experience on a post-surgical floor).

Here are some highlights for me to compare to if I were to choose to go through this again someday:

  • Down to just Ibuprofen by afternoon of day 2 in hospital (sure it hurt to get out of bed and stand up, but once I got moving, it wasn't so bad, as long as I didn't overdo it)
  • Sleeping on my side 2 days before 2 week mark (last time it took well over 2 weeks before it didn't hurt to sleep on my side, I slept sitting up until then)
  • First day out walking around and holding baby – April 13th, 9 days after (at Martian Marathon)
  • Walked 3 miles at one time by 3 weeks
  • Back to church by third week (probably could have done it by week 2, felt well enough, but wanted a day off and slept in)
  • Started with a few crunches by week 4
  • Finally started running (starting with only 1 mile, and very slowly) by 5th week – I was able to run a 5K at an 8 minute mile pace the entire way a few months before I got pregnant; my first mile postpartum took me 11 minutes and 10 seconds; although I take more time off every time I run, I still haven't run further than 1.33 miles, and it is discouraging. I have to keep reminding myself that I haven't really exercised since before I was pregnant (July of last year), and that I had surgery just 6 weeks ago, so I should be proud of myself. I'm getting there...

No comments: