Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ANOTHER DAY AT CLINICALS

A couple weeks ago I was in peds for my clinical - at Detroit Children's hospital. I loved that rotation. Even though it can be heart wrenching (you know these kids didn't get cancer from smoking for 20 years), it was so fun to work with the kids. My last day there I assisted my patient to get her VP shunt revised (a tube placed in a kid's head to drain extra fluid into the abdomen through a small tube that connects the two areas). The poor kid was scared to get more surgery as she has had many past surgeries. They let the mom in the operating room until the kid was knocked out with the anesthesia, but I got to be there for the whole ordeal. The surgeon did a great job and the kid handled it rather well. I still find it weird that I was measuring the amount of spinal fluid coming from her brain during the last part of my shift.

So now I am starting my OB clinical (Newborns!). My second day there I got to not only be present for a normal delivery but I got to help the mom. I was there helping hold her legs back while she performed her little miracle while the dad slept on the couch (claims the blood made him sick). Even though I didn't even know this woman, the whole event was very beautiful (in its own way of course) and you could just feel the sweet innocence eminating from the baby. The mom cried, I tried not to tear up, and the baby was so cute. Gotta love clinicals.

Days like these I love to ask Kellen how his day was...

1 comment:

Janica said...

That's awsome! I would love to be at a live birth (prefably of someone I'm close to) I'm sure it is a lot different from that point of view, than when you are the one on the bed!