Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

(Layoff Part II Finale - Back to School)

Thinking back on it, if we would have stayed in Utah, I would have had a hard time getting into any Nursing program there - the requirements were just different, or there was a 6-9 YEAR waiting list - and it would have been only for a 2-year degree (not that there is much of a difference in pay between a 2yr and 4yr degree with nursing, but you eventually need a 4 yr degree if you want to get a master's or whatever, which I eventually do), so I would have spent even MORE time in school than I already am. Plus, we were wary about having to pay for school, but then I got that extra scholarship. Things really fell into place perfectly for me to go back to school right now.

Sure, it is hard - nothing in life worth doing is easy, right? - and I miss my baby like crazy when I am in school (although I have noticed that since I don't get to see my baby as much, I appreciate my time with him more). But I know this is something I need to do, and now is the best time. It will never be easier to do school than now. I can only imagine what else God has in store for our little family in the years to come.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that extra bit of our little "layoff" story that I wrote about at the beginning of this blog. I don't often write about spiritual things on here - like the time I did a 360 across a four lane freeway on an icy road with tons of traffic without even a scratch on my car, and yet somehow I was able to remain completely calm during the entire thing and was able to just drive away from it and make it to class on time (I remember facing the opposite direction at one point with another car heading right toward me, seeing the other person's face, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders) - or the time my clinical group found out I was "Mormon" while I was at the hospital, and there I was explaining the Book of Mormon to a group of 7 students and my instructor in the hallway by the nurse's station where everyone could hear me. But I love having a spiritual connection in my life. It really does make EVERYTHING easier. And I think it helps me enjoy everything more. Keeping things in perspective makes the bad not so bad, and the good extra good.

1 comment:

Carla Geddes said...

That's a great story! Luke was 7 weeks old when Jake got laid off, and we had just spent much of our savings on the cost of my immigration, and preparing for the arrival of Luke... so we can relate to how scary that can be! I often wonder why we landed in NC... still not sure, but we have been blessed here. I'm just grateful that having the gospel, we have the understanding of trials, and the spirit to guide and comfort us. The Lord knows best...it's that simple! :P